Theme Statement: Recognizing the opportunity to contribute to change in both our own, as well as the larger community around us, ISY strives to be a leader in Service Learning as a means to engage as global citizens .
- Develop a common definition and understanding of service learning in the ISY community.
- Build age appropriate service learning into ISY programs and curriculum throughout the school.
- Develop school wide, long term, mutually beneficial relationships with community partners.
- Create opportunities for reflection on service learning activities in order to increase student awareness, understanding and empathy.
- Create a progression of engagement, choice, and leadership.
- Create structures to foster engagement of the parent community.
- Within two years, all students will have the opportunity to engage in at least one service activity throughout the academic year.
- Within two years, two service projects exist that are school wide, long term, and mutually beneficial.
- Within four years, students increasingly cite service learning as an important part of their ISY experience and personal growth. (i.e. – exit interviews, college applications, personal statements, reflection writing, what is means to be an ISY alumni)
- Within two years, a parent survey indicates increased parent engagement and understanding of service learning objectives.
Service Learning Updates
In March this year, a representative group of teachers and administrators attended a three day workshop in Bangkok on integrating service learning into the curriculum. The facilitator of this workshop was Cathy Berger Kaye, a world authority on curriculum development...
This week a group of 4 ISY staff visited the village of Wan Kong in Eastern Shan Sate on a fact finding mission. The group included Dr. Hedger, Nick Sturmey, Florent Robert and Gavin Ailes and they were accompanied by Dr Kay Khaing Win, the UWS country manager. UWS...
We are very excited to announce that the United World Schools team have now identified the village where the funds we have raised will be used to build a school and train teachers. The village is called Wan Kaung and it is in the hills in the Eastern part...