Secondary Principal’s Blog
November 15, 2019, Update
Christina Powers, Secondary School Principal
The ISY campus will be buzzing with energy this week. Please make sure to join us for the many on campus events we will be taking place this week in secondary school.
ISY Swim Team Dual Meet: Thank you parents for supporting ISY’s swim meet. It was great having many parents supporting and helping run the event. Our ISY Chinthes did a great job.
HS STUCO Fun Fair: The High School Student Council organized Family Fun Fair is tomorrow from 4pm to 7pm. As a reminder the entrance fee is 5,000 kyats per person, which includes one raffle ticket. There will be more raffle tickets on sale on the day of the fun fair at 1,000 kyats each. Come along and join the fun and find out first-hand about a lot of Service Learning activities going on at school. We’re looking forward to seeing you there.
Grade 10 Students Introduction to IB: On Monday, November 18, 2019 grade 10 students will be introduced to the IB courses that are available for the 2020-2021 school year. This introduction will provide students with information that will allow them to have follow-up conversations with teachers, counselor, and parents. On November 26, 2019, ISY will host a student/parent information night. Students will need to select their IB courses by November 26, 2019.
Parent-teacher conferences will be held on Thursday, November 21, 2019, from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM. This year in secondary school we are piloting a new approach to the conferences. All conferences will be held in the school gym and will occur on a first-come-first-serve basis. Teachers will be seated alphabetically at tables throughout the gym and will be available to meet with parents as they arrive.
- Conferences will not be scheduled ahead of time. Instead, parents will conference with the teachers as they are available between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:20 PM.
- On PowerSchool, you will be able to find your child’s teacher and the teacher’s break schedule during the conference.
- Conferences with teachers should be no longer than 10 minutes. If more time is needed, please schedule a separate appointment with your child’s teacher.
- A queuing line of three will be established so that conferences can occur with a degree of privacy.
- In order to help teachers know who you are and who your child is parents will be requested to wear name tags.
- Coffee and tea will be available throughout the day while you are waiting for your child’s teacher
- The following staff will be available only part of the day – Todd Davis, Florent Robert, Adam Batty, Paul Self, Ms. Swati
- ISY PE teachers will not be present during conferences (as they will be helping with the ISY golf tournament) but will be remailing parents with an alternative time to meet.
We are hopeful that this new conference approach will allow you to see all of your child’s teachers in a timely and efficient manner.
Reminder to Families withdrawing from ISY: Please notify the Admissions Office (email@example.com) if your family will be withdrawing from ISY during the school year or in December. The admissions office will then communicate the procedure for you to receive official school records.
After School Activities
As a reminder the link for the ASA booklet is here. Registration will open at 7pm on Monday night, November 18th. Like last time, and in order to enable all children to have a chance to get into their top choices, students/parents will only be able to register for two events on Monday night. At 7pm on Tuesday night, registrations will open up for all remaining activities.
We strongly recommend you login to PowerSchool BEFORE registration opens to test your PowerSchool login. Before contacting the PowerSchool support team you could take a look at this handy guide on resetting your PowerSchool login. If that doesn’t work then please contact PowerSchool support at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions concerning ASAs contact the Athletics Director, Lisa Isom, email@example.com.
This Week in Secondary School
- Grade 10 Students introduction to IB
- Board Meeting at 6:30 PM
- HS Soccer vs ILBC
- Girls Touch at BSY
- MS Volleyball at ISM
- SEASAC Golf Tournament begins
- Parent-Teacher Conferences 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM. No school for students.
- YAC HS Soccer Tournament at ILBC
The International School Yangon
20 Shwe Taungyar Street
+95 1 512 793 /94 /95