This Week Transition Schedule
We will continue with an online learning only schedule for the start of next week. Once the optional transitional days start up again we will let everyone know in good time.
2nd Semester of 2020-21
Students’ report cards will be made available through PowerSchool late this afternoon. Please take a moment to review your child’s reportcard and engage in meaningful discussions regarding student growth. It is without a doubt that this year has been difficult for our students as they brave the uncertain times. Take a moment to ask how you can help your child succeed. What motivates them and makes them happy.
“Walk a mile in another person’s shoes; see the world through someone else’s eyes.”
How can you support your teen during times of change?
Although ISY strives to be a consistent presence for students, this week’s current events impacted your teen’s learning schedule. Several parents reached out to ask how they could help their teenagers during these unexpected changes. Here are a few suggestions:
- Be a Role Model: Teens take emotional cues from the adults around them. If parents demonstrate a calm, healthy attitude toward change, typically they will also. Demonstrate healthy habits, such as proper nutrition, sleep & exercise.
- Discuss world events with terms and vocabulary your teen can understand and help clarify any questions they have or misinformation they express.
- Highlight their safety. Children and teens have a limited world view. They need to know that they are safe and what measures are being taken to ensure safety.
- Allow them opportunities to share their feelings. Let your teen know that their feelings are valid and you want to support them.
- Highlight areas for gratitude. Change can be scary but it can also highlight the constant, the areas in our lives that are stable and supportive. Take a moment to be thankful for these areas.
If you or your teen would like support in dealing with change or other transitions, feel free to reach out to Mr. Fast at email@example.com or Mr. A-G at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NWEA MAP Testing
Tuesday, February 9th, students in Grades 6-9 will be taking the Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) Assessments in Reading, Language, and Mathematics. MAP assessments are online and adaptive. MAP provides useful data in developing a fair and accurate assessment of students’ academic achievement and growth.
Prior to the testing dates, teachers will have prepared students to ensure their device is ready and how the tests will be administered and what to do if they have a question.
It is important to allow students to demonstrate what they are ready to learn by not assisting in answering questions. Additionally, we ask for your help ensuring that the testing environment at home is free from distractions. Map data is not used for grading at ISY, but the combination of data informs teacher instruction in meeting each child’s needs. For more information about MAP please see the following site.
- February 9, 2021 MAP Testing Begins
- February 12, 2021- School Holiday
The International School Yangon
20 Shwe Taungyar Street
+95 1 512 793 /94 /95