Secondary Principal’s Blog
November 12, 2021, Update
Christina Powers, Secondary School Principal
Just a few reminders for the upcoming week:
- Trimester 1 ASA’s are finished as of today. The next session of ASA’s will begin after the winter holiday. Many Service Learning Groups will continue to meet over the next few months.
- Next week is a short week with a school holiday on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Ensuring quality teaching and learning continues to be a priority. Recently we requested feedback from students regarding virtual teaching and learning. The recent Wellness Survey completed by our secondary students provided ISY teachers with feedback that will be taken on board as we move through quarter 2 of the academic year. The response rate was around 50% in High School and approximately 85% in Middle School.
Needless to say, when asking for ways to improve teaching and learning in quarter 2 there were a variety of opinions and suggestions. When a class or subject-specific suggestions were made, these were shared directly with the classroom teacher. The suggestions below are the items that received the most feedback and we will actively address.
- Encourage students to talk instead of typing the chat
- Provide time in class to answer questions and help students who have questions
- Ensure lessons have fun activities in each lesson
- Provide opportunities for students to be together in town hall activities
- Balance out assessments so that they do not pile up at the end of the quarter.
- Ensure that rubrics are well explained and check for understanding so that students can be as successful as possible.
- Provide feedback and grades in a timely manner
- Ensure teachers are using google classroom providing exact dates for tasks/assignments.
The International School Yangon
20 Shwe Taungyar Street
+95 1 512 793 /94 /95