Secondary Principal’s Blog
March 26, 2020, Update
Christina Powers, Secondary School Principal
Thank you for your ongoing support through these uncertain times. Teachers have been working diligently in order to maintain a personal connection with students. Feedback from students indicates that the personal connection is valuable for a student’s overall motivation. Please make sure to complete the parent feedback survey that has been sent to you. Your feedback and the feedback of students will be used to inform our teaching.
Just a few things to note this week.
- March 27th and 30th are school holidays. Teachers will not be assigning work for those days.
- Grade 12 Students and IB: Last Sunday the IBO informed us that the spring 2020 examinations will no longer be held. The IB has indicated that they will share full details and FAQs on their website. When we receive official word from the IBO as to how IB grades will be determined we will let you know.
- Regardless of what the IB determines, class lessons and assignments for grade 12 students will continue to occur until the last day of scheduled class time which is April 23, 2020, as this is needed for the ISY diploma. This may be a great opportunity for our teachers to teach a topic that is not part of the IB syllabus.
- Quarter 3 Report Cards: Quarter 3 ends on April 3, 2020 and reports will be available through PowerSchool on Thursday April 9, 2020. If you have any questions about your child’s progress, please email the classroom teacher.
- Socialization and Exercise: Please encourage your children to connect virtually with peers as it is important that our children remain socially connected. In addition, please ensure your child is obtaining exercise as this will help with motivation and energy levels. If you find your child is struggling, please contact our counselors at Mr. Ron Fast at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mick Amundson-Geisel at MAmundson-Geisel@isyedu.org. If you have any general questions, know that I can be reached weekdays at email@example.com.
Virtual Lesson Guidelines
Lessons will be posted the day before the course is scheduled at 4:00 PM and will continue to follow the Day 1- Day 2 schedule. Monday’s classes will be posted on Sunday at 4:00 PM. Please see the master calendar on the website as the days are now listed on the master calendar.
Class attendance– An attendance question is asked for each lesson. This is just our way of ensuring students access the day’s information, it will not be used to determine if a student is late to a class. Students can access the course at any time as students are in a variety of time zones.
Class Assignments will be due the next time the class meets. Students can submit assignments late with no penalty. We have scheduled deadlines in order to help our students maintain a reasonable schedule. The length of the assignments should be approximately 60 minutes with no homework.
Teacher available for support: Teachers will be available through appointment or 8:00 am – 9:00 am AND 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm Yangon time to answer questions and provide support to students and parents.
The International School Yangon
20 Shwe Taungyar Street
+95 1 512 793 /94 /95