A Strong Finish
Secondary School Principal
April 21, 2023
It is hard to believe that it is almost May and we have seven weeks left of the school year.
We will make the most of these seven weeks. It is important that we finish strong to consolidate all that we continue to learn this year and to build confidence for the next.
Our Grade 12 students will soon be sitting their final IB Diploma exams and it has been great to see so many of them on campus studying. Our Grade 9, 10, and 11 students will also have exams and the purpose of these exams are explained below.
Our Middle School students will continue to build and consolidate important core skills and knowledge, focusing on their own individual strength and areas for growth as assessed by our teachers throughout the year.
This Thursday, you will have the opportunity to meet with your child’s teachers in Parent Teacher Conferences. This is an important opportunity to hear and share insights as to how your child will finish the year strongly. You can schedule a conference and Powerschool and you will find instructions below. We look forward to seeing you on Thursday.
Secondary School Events
Today (Fri, Apr 21):
Middle School Spring Formal Dance: 6pm – 8pm, ISY Gym
Wed, Apr 26:
- University Admissions Evening (Focus on Scholarships), 5:30pm in ISY Cafeteria
- High School Athletics and Activities Dinner. 5pm-7pm in Covered Court
Thurs, April 27: Parent Teacher Conferences (see below for details)
- Apr 28-May 19: Grade 12 IB Examinations
- May 1: Labour Day (no classes)
- May 3: Full Moon Day of Kasone (no classes)
- May 10-16: Grade 9, 10, and 11 Exams
- May 30: Grade 12 Graduation
Every week, Mr. A-G, our High School Conselor, provides our High School students with a weekly update. This update provides students with information about a variety of topics including college and university application processes.
Quarter 3 Reports and Parent Teacher Conferences
Parent Teacher Conferences will be from 9 am to 5 pm on Thursday, April 27 in the ISY Gym. These conferences will be an opportunity to discuss your child’s Quarter 3 Report and general progress with their teachers. Students are encouraged to attend the conference with you.
Please follow these instructions to sign up for Parent Teacher Conferences on Powerschool. You will be able to sign up for conferences up until 12:00 pm on Wednesday, April 26. You will then receive an email from our School Office confirming your conference schedule.
Your child’s Quarter 3 Report is available on PowerSchool. The purpose of this report is to provide a summary of what has been covered in Quarter 3 and an indication of your child’s academic achievement at this point in time.
Please take the time to review this report together with your child. If you have any questions relating to your child’s reports, please email your child’s teacher(s) for clarification. If you have any questions relating to the reporting process in general, you can contact Mr. Simpson on email@example.com.
- Click the following link to access PowerSchool
- Enter your username
- Enter your password. If you have forgotten your username and password contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Click on the login button
Accessing your child’s Quarter 3 Report Card:
- Once you log in, you will see your child/children’s name on the left-hand side top of the screen along with the information of the student schedule.
- Click on your child’s name
- Click on the “Document” icon on the left side of the screen
- Student Documents box will appear on the screen
- Click on the file name “Q3 Report Card 22-23”
If you have difficulty accessing your child’s report, please know that you can contact the Secondary School office by email (email@example.com) for assistance.
Secondary School Art
Athletics & Activities Blog
High School Final Exams: Why do we do them?
Our Grade 9, 10 and 11 students will sit Final Exams in May.
Exams are one of many types of assessment that we use at ISY to develop a fair and accurate understanding of student academic achievement levels.
For an assessment to be effective in helping us develop a fair and accurate understanding of what each student understands, we must be clear in our purpose for the assessment. Here are four reasons why students in Grades 9, 10, and 11 sit Final Exams at ISY:
1. Experience: Our Grade 12 students are about to sit their final IB Diploma exams. It is important that students feel confident and capable of showing what they know in an exam. To feel confident and capable in an exam, it is important for our students, with the support of their teachers, to experience exam conditions (no talking, sitting in rows, time limits, being supervised by a proctor, etc). With the support of their teachers, students will learn that they are able to show what they know in exam conditions. After the exams, teachers will help students reflect on their exam experience to develop more confidence and capability for next time.
2. Technique: Like sport or playing a musical instrument, good exam technique is very important for students to be able to show what they are capable of. Students also feel more confident going into an exam if they know they have good techniques to study for and sit exams. Our teachers have studied and will share with students the following proven study techniques summarized in this Strengthening the Student Toolbox article:
- Practice testing: self-testing or taking practice tests on material to be tested in the exam.
- Distributed practice: making a schedule of study that spreads out different subjects or study activities over time.
- Interleaved practice: making a schedule of study that mixes different kinds of problems or questions in one study session.
- Self-explanation: explaining to yourself (or another person) how to use what you know to answer a question or solve a problem.
Learning techniques like these will help students develop a study timetable that works for them. Teachers will also tell students what type of questions they can expect on the exams and share techniques that will help answer them.
3. Review: Exams provide an opportunity to review previously taught skills and knowledge that teachers have identified as important to consolidate for students to build on next year.
4. Data: To develop a fair and accurate assessment of a student’s academic achievement level, teachers use data from different assessments throughout the year. As students learn to sit exams, it is important for students to understand that a Final Exam is just one assessment that teachers gather data from to understand what their academic achievement level is. The grade on the Semester 2 report card comes from assessment data gathered throughout the year. A disappointing exam result at the end of the year does not cancel out what the student has proven they are capable of in earlier assessments. A High School Final Exam is in no way an ‘all or nothing’ assessment.
The International School Yangon
20 Shwe Taungyar Street
+95 (0) 9 880 441 040
The 5th Annual ISY Fundraising Gala is scheduled to take place on Saturday, March 30, 2024, at the PARKROYAL Hotel Yangon and will be in their Yadanar Ballroom starting from 6:00 pm. The theme will be The Garden of Hope. The Gala supports and links to ISY’s strategic theme of Sustainability. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor of the event, please see this linked sponsorship document with the sponsorship packages and form. Any questions regarding sponsorship should be directed towards our Advancement Associate, May Su Yadana Bo (firstname.lastname@example.org) or +95 9 880 441 040, +95 9 964 210 248. You can also see further details about ticket purchases for the event on our ISY Gala webpage and Facebook Event page.